Tuesday, September 08, 2009

Day 1, Helsinki: Just arrived

2:55 pm Landed at Helsinki-Vantaa Airport after 10 hours of flight, 2 meals, and 3 movies. Didn't sleep much...

Took the city bus from the airport to the Railway Square at downtown Helsinki -- a 30-min ride for 4 Euros, easy and cheap (comparing to other transportation means). Hey, this place, the Square, reminds me of Copenhagen... a lot! Yes, I mean a lot, 'cos the look of the buildings around the square, the neon signs, the bus terminus... are almost identical!

Changed to Metro. Took 2 stations at a standard single journey fare of 2 Euros. The place are quite old and lousy, but the trains are clean and new. It should be a convenient means if I were not carrying a big luggage of 20 kg.

用Audi A6黎做的士,服未!?起錶維起要港紙五十幾,每跳一跳要成十五蚊,你話我會唔會坐?

5:00 pm Checked in, finally.

The room is much smaller than I thought, but it's OK for 1 person. It's fortunate that my wife will come to stay for only 1 night when she arrives on Fri.

The guy at the Reception told me in his American accent that the room has both LAN and wireless connection of internet, all for free. But none of them works! The LAN doesn't work and the guy told me there's nothing he can do about it. Wireless does work, but it prompts for my credit card info. Worse, that guy at the reception seems not going to help.

Another problem is my socket adapters I brought with me -- they don't fit into the room sockets. Fortunately, there's a big shopping mall with a computer and AV mega store, where I shopped for one. I also took the chance to use a demo Mac station to check emails -- shocked to hear a close relative in the Mainland died. May God remember and comfort his family.

There is a Subway sandwich in the mall, so I just took a teriyaki sandwich bun -- it was the most delicious sandwich bun I've ever had (may be I was hungry), surely much much better than the one in TST East.

Then I toured around the neighbourhood of the hotel, including the conference venue that I am attending in the next 2 days.

會議會場叫做Kaapeli(英譯Cable Factory),係翻新左既廠房。先黎探下路,等聽朝時間好預算D...

Kaapeli係二次大戰時期起既,「晒屎」係當時芬蘭最大既工廠廠房,經過改朝換代,最後由當時仲未係跨國電訊巨擘既Nokia擁有,後黎Nokia唔再用呢度,就lor黎租俾D文化藝術團體同工作者黎做工作室,最後發展成為今日赫爾辛基既文化中心。所以黎親呢度既人都好似係D同設計藝術同文化有關既型人一族。

話明係設計藝術同文化人既聚腳點,梗係要響幅牆上面玩下野。

8:00 pm Back to the hotel, and couldn't wait to use the internet terminal at the business centre to write up all these. It took me some time to accustom to the Finnish keyboard. Many keys are in different positions. This is also why this piece could not be in Chinese.

芬蘭語系鍵盤既字母分佈雖然跟英語系既差唔多,但符號就有好大分別,其中響海外發電郵返香港當然係必要做既事,所以成日要打個〔@〕鍵,但呢度唔係㩒〔Shift-2〕鍵打,而係〔Control-2〕!個〔Return〕同左手面既〔Shift〕鍵都細人好多,成日㩒錯隔離...

OK, time to go back to my room and start preparing my PPT for Thursday.(後記:結果個晚因為時差,乜都無做過就撻上床訓覺!另註:上面所有中文都係後加既)

Labels:

1 Comments:

At 9/09/2009 11:38:00 AM, Blogger big_head said...

Cool!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home