Thursday, August 04, 2005

Enjoy peeking!

Although I told my wife that she's the most qualified person to read my thoughts (I mean it!), although I told her that I believe God would like us to be "transparent" persons, she still think that reading my blogs and the replies gave her an uneasy feeling. She feels like peeking into someone's personal diary since everything I've written looks so personal*. My answer is: That's why reading blogs is so fascinating. Hardly we can have communications of any depth in our daily work and social life, but desperately we expect our families, friends and church brothers & sisters to open up and reveal their true feelings and thinkings. To me writings do have an advantage over oral or face-to-face communications. I think well enough as I write, but I may not think well enough when I talk -- how about you? And by revealing our true feelings and secrets very often we will be rewarded by other people's true feelings and secrets. That's the kind of depth and quality we're pursuing in interpersonal relationships and communications, isn't it?

PostSecret is an ongoing community art project where people mail-in their secrets anonymously on one side of a homemade 4-by-6-inch postcard. It's a blog presented not only in words but also in visual terms. It lets you peek into a lot of people's minds and you'll be opened up to an eye-opening horizon of thinking: secrets of regrets, hopes, funny experiences, unseen kindness, fantasies, beliefs, fears, betrayal, erotic desires, feelings, confessions, or childhood humiliation... you name it. You know what I realized when I read them? While a secret always means a lot to someone, it's actually no big deal as seen by someone else -- same as my own secret -- so why try so hard to hide? This will take you to look at your own secrets in a new way. Enjoy peeking!

*Blogs are so commonly misunderstood as just personal diaries on the net, but it's not. It's a lot more than that.

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 10/16/2005 01:14:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear brother,

I do agree with you about the advantages of writing than talking to people. And I enjoy reading your diary too. It lets me know you even better. We grown up together. I thought I know you very well but since we become adult and you change so much, so much to an extent that I need to explore more about you, how much you had changed and becoming a real quality individual. You have a lot that I need to learn.

Having said all that, Lulu has her points too. Do balance what you want to share....

Vincent

 
At 10/16/2005 10:39:00 AM, Blogger ablogaday said...

Vow! I can't believe you commented on posts of 2 and 3 months ago, Vincent! In case you don't know how to view from the latest post, just click on the title on top.

As what I wrote to Kwan, this blog has served its purpose if it helps the people dearest to me to know me better. Of course it would be even better if it arouse a deeper communication and interactions among us.

About balancing, see my reply to your other comment.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home