Saturday, July 30, 2005

Who am I? Who are you?

[A note to yesterday's blog.]

Think about how you introduce yourself to people:

"I am Sarita." Some people define themselves with their names, because their names reveals certain stories (and thus meanings) in their lives. Those are either joyful stories they treasure or painful memories they couldn't get rid of. It further strengthen their life narratives. So why do people change their names?

"I am a man." or "I am a woman." Some people define themselves according to their sex, (Note that in some forms that we need to fill in, people begin to use gender (性向) instead of sex (性別) -- you know why.) because man and woman "are supposed to" act and behave differently. Do you agree?

"I am a man. I'm not a kid anymore!"
Some people define themselves according to their age, because every age group "is supposed to" do different things, and belonging to certain age group entitles or limit you from doing certain things. And in our community there are certain age groups which got bigger control over the others. Guess which?

"I am a designer.", "I am a manager."
or "I am a writer." We define ourselves according to our profession, because either the profession reflects certain social class we belong, or reflects our accomplishment or how much we earn. If we are not, we'll try to cover it with some terms which sounds better (see my comment on this blog), or we wouldn't introduce ourselves in this way, and use something else to define ourselves. True?

"I am a Macintosh enthusiast.", "I am a celloist.", "I am a tough negotiator."
or "I am Miss Hong Kong." We define ourselves according to things which we're good at, because it reflects our taste and it gives us some sense of significance of ourselves. The more we get the significance, the harder we'll study or practice into it. It is something to claim victory over someone who is actually more powerful than us ("My boss is a dumb, he just uses Wintel PC." or "These kids only know Twins and Kenny. They'll never be interested in Bach or Tchaikovsky."). How about you?

"I am a Chinese."
or "I am a Hongkonger." We define ourselves according to our ethnical standing. We identify ourselves to a certain group of people whom we don't actually know (most of them we don't even know their names or never met them before! (Anderson, 1983)) but feel very connected because we buy in the same culture as theirs, or we found our so-called root among them. What does it mean to you by being a Chinese or a Hongkonger?

"I am the husband of Patricia.", "I am the son of Mr Chan.", "I am a student of Paul Rand."
or "I am a loyal fan of Twins." We define ourselves according to our relation with other people, most probably because these people means a lot to us. They may be someone we're proud of. Who are you attached to? What if these people disappoint you one day?

"I am a father of 2 kids."
We define ourselves according to our role in the family, most probably because we enjoy very much our family life. But on the dark side, this role gives us pride too -- we tend to introduce ourselves like this when we are enjoying the dominant role and we have authority over other family members. If other members in the family turn hostile or rebellious against us, we'll try to hide our family conditions before other people. Does your family members make you proud?

"I am an environmentalist."
or "I am an anti-terrorist." We define ourselves according to our discontent about our surroundings. So badly we hope that we can contribute something to make our surroundings nearer to what we want it to be. What is your discontent? (I know 學子's.)

"I am a Christian."
We define ourselves according to our belief, our faith or religion. It represents something we're heading for and striving to be. This is our ideal self, although we're not up to the standard yet. Are you ready to go totally committed to it?

Anderson, Benedict (1983). Imagined Communities: Reflections on the Origin and Spread of Nationalism. London and New York: Verso.

Labels:

3 Comments:

At 7/30/2005 12:49:00 AM, Blogger ablogaday said...

Came across a joke in 2002:

【頭銜是一定要的啦!】

以前我們公司有兩位主管平常不使用名片,有一次為了要辦信用卡,就要我們幫她們作幾張有頭銜的名片交信用卡公司。
一位是:環境保護檢測工程部執行長
一位是:高級營養管理設計部主任兼採購執行長
這兩位,一位是負責大廈清潔掃地倒垃圾的阿桑,一位廚房煮午餐的歐裡桑。
最後這兩位高級主管都有申請到金卡喔!

某校的某個系想在系辦公室添購一部冰箱,預算呈報到校方,被退了回去。
助教一看,堂堂高等學府竟然連買個冰箱也不行,就換個名目,將冰箱改成「類神經人工智慧溫度調節器」,校方馬上就批准了。
往後,這個系陸續添購了許多東西:
「數位決策產生器」是骰子、
零食叫「高密度能量單位」、
KTV 設備是「 FUZZY 影像音波控制系統」、
按摩椅叫「生化振動器」、
電腦遊戲謂之「腦波振盪器」、
電動玩具稱為「3D動畫VR多媒體處理機」、
音響乃是「可記憶訊號產生器」、
連大補帖也很有學問:「數位程式儲存版」。

食髓知味的助教又申購兩項「科技產品」:
「超大型 FUZZY多頻非交錯液晶積體電路超高頻道影像擷取接收器」和「CABLE MODEM和數位電視的先趨研究」,分別是電視機和第四台。

 
At 7/30/2005 09:18:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey ah ching, your question trigger me to think about how to introduce myself .... so I'll write in my blog if it's organised. BUT, the 1st thing came across my mind is that I'm a bad gal .... T_T

 
At 8/01/2005 04:29:00 AM, Blogger ablogaday said...

A bad gal you are, if you insist to hook yourself to those past memories which will continue and further construct your life narrative.
Now that you're reborn. Christ has exchanged His life in order to save yours. In terms of status you're TOTALLY righteous, and His cleansing power will last FOREVER.
Do you still need to look at yourself, or introduce yourself in this way?
Is it you're nobody if you abandon your self-identity as a bad gal? Who is the true Coral?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home