Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Cypher in the Matrix

In the film Matrix starring Keanu Reeves, there is a character called Cypher played by Joe Pantoliano. Cypher is one of the crews on "Nebuchadnezzar", which was led by Morpheous in the mission to search for the One, the foretold savior who will free the human race from being prisoned in a fake and simulated world, the Matrix. But after all these years fighting without a glimpse of victory and had no clue of the One, Cypher chose to live in the "reality" of the Matrix, and to indulge himself in its fakeness, and finally betrayed his comrades. I always wonder why would one choose to live in lies when he already has the reality? Cypher explained, "You know, I know this steak doesn't exist. I know that when I put it in my mouth, the Matrix is telling my brain that it is juicy and delicious. After nine years, you know what I realize? Ignorance is bliss."


When we were fighting this spiritual warfare for too long, got torn between the sinful and the Holy worlds, and Jesus still hasn't come yet, we got tired from time to time. We think we had enough. We think and think again, we doubted and we struggled. Sometimes we even turned our backs to Jesus who saved us and doubted Him like how Cypher doubted Morpheous' prophecy -- "Jesus. What a mind-job." Like non-converts we thought our faith is just a mind-job (I still question that from time to time). It was especially discouraging when you had expectations on people, prayed for them and it turned out that they let go and choose to walk away, how would you feel? Would it feel like this?

Judas' Kiss
Words and music by Bob Hartman


I wonder how it makes you feel when the prodigal won't come home

I wonder how it makes you feel when he'd rather be on his own

I wonder what it's like for you when a lamb has gone astray

I wonder what it's like for you when your children disobey


(Chorus)

It must be like another thorn struck in your brow

It must be like another close friend's broken vow

It must be like another nail right through your wrist

It must be just like...
Just like Judas' kiss

I wonder how it makes you feel when no one seeks your face

I wonder how it makes you feel when they give up in the race

I wonder what it's like for you when they willingly disobey

I wonder what it's like for you when they willingly walk away (chorus)


Another favorite by Petra. Somehow I think the saddest thing for our Heavenly Father other than giving up Jesus for our sins is when we "give up in the race", when we'd rather be on our own like the prodigal (Luke 15:12), to see us willingly disobey and walk away. Again, if you've been feeling weaker by the day, more power to ya may God give! Amen.

Went silent for a long time and almost went weeping when I heard this on the flight CT115.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home