Wednesday, December 19, 2007

愛聽擦鞋話

It is usually the most satisfying moment when a semester comes to an end: neither do I need to prepare for lectures nor scratching my head on thinking how to push my students to work against tight submission deadlines.

成個學期我俾左學生五個功課,淨係poster design一個功課已經擺到一地都係!呢幅相見到幾多?日夜校兩班Typography加埋43人,你諗下我有幾多件功課要grade啦!

While I'm grading my students' works, it always feel great when I receive compliment emails from them. But in this semester I do receive something new, something I've never heard before from previous semesters:

"Thanks very much for your kindness and smile. They make the lessons more interesting and we are not afraid to ask questions in the class.【呢個comment真係第一次聽!前兩個禮拜先聽見教會有大人細路話我個樣鬼咁嚴肅,好彩家下有人幫我平反jet!】
Indeed, we improved our sensitivity of font and typography thru this project. Some presentations are quite unique and we learnt a lot from them. Actually, I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for making this course interesting."

"I found your course is very useful, and it enlightens me to be more sensitive in typography. Most of time now, I will unconsciously keep watch for typo designs like on movie posters, movie trailers, magazines ads, signages and shop's logotypes...etc.

Well, I don't know how long this habit will last, but at least I can apply what I learnt from you to answer/challenge my marketing colleagues' stupid comments on typography."
【呢位同學每次功課都做勁多concept sketches,比起今日好多designer做job都只係撩一兩個layouts就埋電腦做final artwork,唔知算唔算瀕臨絕種一族呢!?】

"I pleased that I can join these high-standard lesson, lets me pay attention how to create typeface, analyzes the typeface, resolution of letterform...
Because your lecture on typeface let us know to request the homework standard. I study many course, I never seen a lot of diligent classmate in a class, it lets me positive diligently myself.
【話時話,今個semester班夜校生既學習態度又真係抵讚,我做教既都教得有心機同落力D!】
At the end of the subject of Typography, thanks for the tutorial and the email opinion, it is very detailed and clear. I gained a lot from this semester and I think it really can grab every chance in future in applying I have learned."


"I am glad to finish all the lessons of 'Typography'. Thanks for your patient to teach us for these months. Typeface design made me satisfied... they are designed by myself and are unique. Now, I have my own typeface!
【感唔感受到佢份興奮?】It is a special experience to me. After I finished the final assignment, I understood that typeface design is really really difficult thing. During the process of designing the new typeface, I did many many times revision including the revision of the strokes. But I still enjoyed to do it. It is because I can learn more from each revision."

"May you spend some time to give some comments as your comments are highly effective and useful."

"Thank you for your kindly teaching/tutorial. I learnt a lot from the lesson."

"I am really grateful to you for that you had done, eg. diligent teaching, tutorial/e-mail opinions, especially you would still try your best to give me some detailed and useful opinions even if I hadn't do the well prepare for the tutorial... actually I feel so shame about that... Thank you for your teaching~~"
【響tutorial度俾唔俾到D有用既意見學生係我非常重視既一環。既唔會spoon-feed、又要point the way ahead、inspire到佢地返去知道做乜... 呢位同學同好多個一樣,過晒交功課既時間仲係咁send D改進左既功課黎叫我comment,完全體現「讀書不是求分數」既精神!】

"I also would like to thank for your teaching, the lesson make me interest in typography and let me know there are different angles tolook at design. I'm really enjoy your class... And feel surprise lot of the works of my classmates are doing so well in the final... I hope to share more about design with you at the future in the spare time~"

"... thank you so much in the Typography module. Before this semester I think I am sensitive to the fonts or text... But now, I know we have a long long way to go... haha! All topics in the lessons are interesting, although the courseworks are really hard for me... I have to spend so much time to do... But I earned so much!!! At least, I will 堅持 what I learnt in the Typography lessons!!"

「我們一些同學想食飯with u, like 謝謝宴~哈哈」
【呢個問題我最唔識答勒!應承佢地會唔會俾人話我受賄?】

響另一個科目,我同學生分享緊作為老師,我教學方法既取向係多俾D建設性既批評(等佢地知道下一步做乜),唔好齋俾D苛刻既意見(講俗D就係「插」佢地或者「打沉」佢地),因為我贊成Edward de Bono既講法,呢個世界太追捧critical thinking而忽略左creative thinking。有個學生咁樣覆我:

"Yes, I agree with your standpoint... you are the first runner up in my favourite tutor list. Just keep it up and I am sure you will be a brilliant teacher and teach someone likes me, hahah!
【然後佢講到佢日頭做既工作】I have a successful private show last night and of course after writing the proposal, frankly speaking, I gain a lot of inspirations through your lesson....
I am sure you are a passion and a sincere lecturer, just keep it up and make more contributions, you inspired me actually."

Labels:

9 Comments:

At 12/19/2007 11:13:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

攪到我好想上吓你啲堂添......

 
At 12/20/2007 02:51:00 AM, Blogger big_head said...

Thanks for sharing these wonderful comments. They inspire me to do a better job myself.

Don't know if it's applicable, but I'm thinking of assigning more work for my students in the coming quarter ....

>「我們一些同學想食飯with u, like 謝謝宴~哈哈」【呢個問題我最唔識答勒!應承佢地會唔會俾人話我受賄?】

Don't you think it's a good chance to get to know them, especially if you're not going to teach them again. One of my students gave me a bottle of ice-wine. I refused several times but by the time she left, the bottle still sat on my desk. I was so worried about the implication of bribery that I checked with my department chair and he said it's OK.

So, how many hours will you be teaching next quarter?

 
At 12/20/2007 12:34:00 PM, Blogger ablogaday said...

【岩岩收到多一個擦鞋email,update左篇blog】

阿K,等教育部叫我教主日學,我又有時間備課,咁妳就黎報名啦!

> I'm thinking of assigning more work for my students

BigHead, I believe we need balance and integration of theory and practice. When I give out a project brief, I make sure I don't leave them clueless, but providing at least one theoretical framework/methodology of doing the assignment. I won't restrict my student to use their own (creative) methods to work on it. If they do it in their own way, then I question/challenge more on their methodologies during the tutorials so that they know how they could evaluate their own thinking and ways of working.

All the best to your teaching in the coming quarter anyway.

> Don't you think it's a good chance to get to know them

Actually I don't mind accepting their invitation, and I did reply saying 'yes', only after I finish grading their works and they receive the results -- I told them may be they would change their minds... May be this can also test their sincerity...

> how many hours will you be teaching next quarter?

6 hrs in Jan, mid-March and afterwards. 9 hrs from Feb to mid-March. What about you?

 
At 12/21/2007 10:33:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

would you like that (等教育部叫我教主日學,我又有時間備課) by the comming year?


Wai

 
At 12/22/2007 12:05:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ching Ching

Not a teaching related respond but just wanna say: Happy Birthday!!

Happy!!!

 
At 12/22/2007 01:42:00 PM, Blogger big_head said...

8 units in the coming quarter.

Your b/day today?

Be fruitful, and multiply ... spiritually! From my heart.

 
At 12/24/2007 02:44:00 AM, Blogger ablogaday said...

嘩!阿偉哥,我岩岩先因為明年要響兩個團契帶查經至忍痛quit左份兒童崇拜導師,家下你又黎,反應認真快播!

Ah Foon, thanks! And may your birthday be blessed. May God give you a year full of His grace and guidance! Amen!

BigHead, while the hours I mentioned to you are weekly, but I don't get what you means by "units".

Thanks for your blessings!

 
At 12/26/2007 12:01:00 PM, Blogger big_head said...

ooops, i mean 8 hours per week.

 
At 1/23/2008 12:00:00 AM, Blogger ablogaday said...

Got another email from a student today:

"Long time no see and I must thank for your teaching again here. My boss told me that my typographic sense became better and more accurate, and of course I found it too."

What else could one ask for?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home